Pages

Subscribe: Subscribe to me on YouTube

Friday, August 10, 2007

The Rice PavilionIt's The Rice Pavilion!

This is it after the great storm of '87, when the Pavilion's onions were knocked to the ground by a particularly nasty gust.

Well ok, it's not. I actually visited the library yesterday morning, twenty-four hours ahead of the official completion date, and sure enough, the rice roofers hadn't finished yet. But I'm reliably informed that those onions (which aren't made of rice) (or onions) will be sitting proudly on top of the building by the end of today. They've built the thing right by the window though, so one week of hot weather and they'll have a major boil-in-the-bag situation on their hands, and a few thousand portions of paella they didn't ask for.

Short-GrainCatering issues aside, I have to say I'm disappointed by the scale of their achievement. I was promised a 16ft-high edible Pavilion, when in reality it's barely more than eight, as is demonstrated by the basmati brickie in the background, who was only a couple of inches taller than me. Frankly the whole thing's more short-grain than long-grain. The domes might push it towards sixteen feet, but they're made of wood, so frankly that's cheating. If I'm promised five metres of rice, I want five metres of rice, dammit. If it wasn't free, I'd have asked for my money back. Or at the very least, a few tins of Ambrosia to take home.

But anyhoo, I shouldn't really be sitting here waxing lyrical about rice, because...

I have a job interview today.

I know, it sounds unlikely, but it's true. Twenty-four hours after e-mailing them my CV, I received a phone call yesterday afternoon from the mystery employer I mentioned on Wednesday, inviting me to come in for an interview at 6:15pm today. By nine o'clock tomorrow morning, I could be in there, taming.

0 comments: