Pages

Subscribe: Subscribe to me on YouTube

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

I found this leaflet on the doorstep when I got home today...

Hiii-ya!
Is it really a good idea to teach your 3-year-old how to kick his friends at nursery?

Actually, I should be able to answer that question, because I've been learning about risk assessments today. In the words of my instructor, "If I suggested we all go and climb an electricity pylon, would that be dangerous?". I'm not sure if that's a rhetorical question or a homework assignment.

Anyhoo, day two of my induction course featured ninety minutes of Manual Handling Theory, an hour on Fire Safety, half an hour on how to wash your hands, and twenty minutes on the Protection of Vulnerable Children. Though if you teach them all Kung Fu, that would solve that problem.

The highlight (and I realise that might not be saying much) was the manual handling session with a former nurse called Sarah, who proved she had backbone by turning up with a genuine human spine. I bet she's got a few skeletons in the closet. She also told us the story of how she tested the maternity ward's emergency procedure by getting into her swimming costume and pretending to faint in the birthing pool. You've got to admire her dedication. The lady was very entertaining anyway, which makes her a rare species on this course, and one which should be protected. It's not everyone who can make you laugh whilst explaining the procedure for discovering a hanging.

Sarah wasn't actually my favourite lecturer of the day though. That honour goes to the lady who was due to talk to us about 'Awareness of Blood Safety'. She failed to turn up and we got to go home an hour early. If only they were all like that.

0 comments: