Pages

Subscribe: Subscribe to me on YouTube

Monday, June 09, 2008

WaspishIn the end, we didn't make it as far as the South Downs for our picnic yesterday afternoon. Big Sis wanted me to help her answer the question "In your opinion, what are the main tasks that should be performed by an astronaut?" using less than a hundred words, and by the time I'd written "FIGHTING ALIENS" fifty times in big letters, we'd run out of time.

So I laid out the rug in the living room instead, and we sat on the floor for half an hour eating sausage rolls and scotch eggs. It was surprisingly nice.

Having stuffed ourselves with finger food, we then strolled (slowly, for obvious reasons) along the seafront to the Brighton Centre for this year's Brighton Baby Expo. Sally Gunnell had run off by the time we got there, but we did get to meet a number of interesting people, most of whom wanted to sell us something. We ended up spending a good two and a half hours browsing the stalls, chatting to experts and eating free chocolate brownies, and I have to say it was all very good. Especially the brownies. We'd have stayed even longer, but by 4:30pm I'd picked up so many leaflets that I could no longer move.

We made a total of four major purchases: a box of maternity knickers (they're mostly for Lisa), a place for both of us on a Baby First Aid Course in August (we spent so long talking to the nurse who runs it that she had to give us a discount just to get rid of us), and... my personal favourite... a Bump Casting Kit! Yes, you heard me right the first time, a Bump Casting Kit! I'm going to mould Lisa's midriff in plaster, paint it in silver, and hang it on the wall. Or possibly use it as a wok. I can't wait.

But almost as exciting as Lisa getting plastered is this...

Rachel Waddiloves us.
We've met Gwyneth Paltrow's nanny! Yes indeed, Rachel Waddilove is the woman who spent a year making sure that Apple didn't crumble under the pressure of having a movie star Mum and a rock star Dad. And now she's advising me and Lisa. I asked her what one piece of advice she'd give us as new parents and she told us to accept all the help we can, and get as much sleep as possible. I plan to start immediately.

0 comments: