Pages

Subscribe: Subscribe to me on YouTube

Sunday, June 08, 2008

Well my bet on the Derby won me fifty pounds, so according to my calculations, that should buy me two nights in the flat below. I'm beginning to see why that couple moved into a Travelodge.

As for today, I have a baby show to attend, a picnic to prepare and an astronaut application to rewrite, so I won't have time to post a lengthy review of 'The Minotaur', Harrison Birtwistle's new opera which was on BBC2 last night. Which is a shame, because having stumbled across it during an ad break in Big Brother, I find I have quite a lot to say. Most of it beginning with the words "What the bloody hell was that all about???"

So here's a photo instead. These words have appeared in big metal letters on a wall in Madeira Drive...

I have great desire My desire is great
I have great desire My desire is great. I think vandals must have removed the full-stop in the middle. According to this link it's part of someone's degree in sculpture. In 1504 Michelangelo created the Statue of David. Five hundred years later, people are sticking phrases on walls. Personally I call that progress. I wasn't sure what it meant at first, but having heard Gore Vidal talk about Tennessee Williams a couple of weeks ago, I realise it's someone boasting about their streetcar.

0 comments: